Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog 8: The Concept of the Other

a) give a description of your "other."
My description of an "other" would probably be  a mathematician or anyone who has a very special interest in math or is very good at it.

b) explain what it is about it that makes you feel such opposition to it
I feel that the opposition to this group defines me as someone inferior. I'm not very good at mathematics or anything in the category (sciences like chemistry and physics), and I feel like I would never have anything in common with them simply because I don't have the same interest in the subject.

c) discuss what has happened or would happen in situations where you have to interact with someone who belongs to "the other" as you define it. You should make sure that you do not write something offensive to members of that group, but at the same time if you keep good manners you should express your ideas openly.
I have interacted with this sort of group back in high school, and even though I was able to cope with the awkwardness because it was in such a little amount of time, it felt pretty intimidating because I was the only one among my peers who was out casted. I was able to socialize, but not as normally as I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment