Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Blog 4: Reflection

1) What have you learned about writing academic texts so far? Anything from ideas of audience to invention techniques to thesis and topic sentences can be discussed here. Do not simply repeat whatever notes you took in class--the point is for your thoughts on what we did in class: Did these concepts connect with things you already knew and how did you make these connections? If something was unfamiliar, how did you approach it? What is still puzzling to you about these writing concepts? What are you not sure of regarding them?
The writing techniques we’ve done in class aren’t something that I have not come across in previous English classes before. Although I was already well aware of what a thesis statement, topic sentences, and similar writing techniques were, I guess I didn’t understand how to apply these sorts of things in an essay to their full extent. For instance; I didn’t know how to build up a good thesis, where all the points are unified, specific, and restricted, but instead thought that a thesis didn’t need to have all these qualities and just present the main idea. It was pretty startling at first, especially since I was so used to my old way of writing, but it really has helped outline and pinpoints parts of my essay that should be emphasized more and has strengthened my essay writing.

2) What did you think of the interaction with ENA 099? Does such interaction make blogging more meaningful for you or not? How was writing to someone not in class different from making comments on classmates' blogs? Did trying to critique someone else's summary make you more confident that you know the criteria for a good summary?
The interaction with ENA 099 was pretty unexpected, so I was a little taken back when the professor said we’d be commenting on essays that weren’t from our class.  At first I was a bit uncomfortable because I didn’t want to feel as if I were being too assertive with a person I had never met, but towards the middle of the critique I realized that I was only criticizing this person to better their writing. In a sense, I feel that it was much more meaningful to comment on a stranger’s blog because they know I wouldn’t be criticizing them for their appearance, or for personal reasons, but solely on their aspect in writing (as opposed to writing to a student in my class who I already know personally). It made me feel more confident because I knew the individual wouldn’t feel judged as a person.

3) Area of reflection of your choice: What else would you like to share with all of us?
I guess I’d have to say that I’ve learned a lot from the class so far, not just from the class itself and how to better my writing, but also from the students (even those who I have not met personally). I’ve learned how to look at different aspects of a situation and not just assume that mine is the correct one.  I’ve also learned a lot from the essays I’ve read so far (as cheesy as it may sound), some of this stuff is really interesting! I mean, take Nick’s essay about the witch trials in Massachusetts. That’s some cool stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment